After an apparent victory for protesters as the controversial LD50 gallery in Dalston closes its doors, it has emerged that there may be plans to reopen it in a new location.
Lucia Diego, the gallery’s owner, was told by the landlord of her one-time home that she could not open a gallery there.
— Hackney Post (@hackneypost) March 14, 2017
The owner said Diego briefly stayed at the address over three years ago but has never paid rent or had any legal ties to the property – and has asked her to deregister the property as the main address for the business.
He said he’d allowed her to briefly stay there with her brother as a favour but will not let her open a gallery there.
He said: “She wants to move in full time, pay rent and live there and do a gallery there. I wouldn’t want anything to do with her. I said ‘Lucia, do you want me to open a gallery up in there with all the [aggression] you’ve had from LD50 on the other one? You’re asking me can I entertain that? The answer is no.’”
“She’s had her life threatened and everything. I said to her ‘I don’t want anything to do with you or this gallery. You stay away from me.’ I didn’t get into what she’d done, but obviously she’s got to move out of the other place [LD50 gallery on Tottenham Road] because the landlord wants her out.”
“She’s in a load of trouble. I haven’t got time to get involved with her. We don’t want anything to do with it. Absolutely not”
Lee Jasper, co-chair of BARAC (Black Activists Rising Against Cuts) said: “While she’s at liberty to do anything that she may choose to do after she’s closed LD50, I think any new venture that includes a focus on the culture of white supremacy and fascism is likely to meet with the exact same response.”
“Assuming that she wishes to focus on the same artistic area of focus – which seemed to be Nazi regalia and white supremacist culture – which so enraged us all in her previous venture, I think she’s inevitably going to attract opposition to a new venture if she’s learned none of the lessons as to why she was forced to close the last venture.”
Hackney Post has contacted Lucia Diego for comment, so far without response.
Additional reporting by Ellen Daniel and Luke Barratt.